~ 3 min
We made it! After about 20 hours of traveling (1 car ride, 2 flights and 2 different vans) we made it to our Mozambican town, Manhiça.
The trip went much better than I anticipated! Everything that could go well did. First of all, while checking luggage we thought we would need to pay for an extra suitcase but apparently we could check 2 suitcases each! So we rearranged our stuff to have less carry on, which made our trip much easier!
Ramona did great! She did have a little fever in the morning the day we left but later she was feeling much better. And, like we say in Spanish, “no hay mal que por bien no venga” (“every cloud has a silver lining”, more or less). It’s not that I like for her to be sick, but the fact that she was a little bit off made her relaxed and helped her to fall asleep more easily in the plane. The other great thing was that in the long flight (10h 15min from Lisbon to Maputo) the plane was not full, more like half full, so we had 5 seats in a row for the 3 of us, which made it much easier for us to sleep (or at least for Ramona).
Today is our second day in our new home! We are settling down, unpacking, we went grocery shopping yesterday, we still need to buy stuff for the house, but we are mostly set! The house is very simple but perfect for us! Big living room / dinning room area, kitchen with all the basics, 2 bedrooms and a bathroom with a big shower. And the best thing is that we have a huge front yard full of trees (mostly mango trees) and sand with which Ramona loves to play!
Yesterday was a hard day though. When we got the the house it didn’t have running water, the fridge had an incompatible South African plug, half of the lights in the house were off, some mosquito screens in the windows needed fixing, etc. So we spent all morning figuring out things, waiting for the electrician, going to the CISM (Centro de investigação em saude de Maniça where Joe works,) to use its fridge to store Ramona’s antibiotics, buying a new sim card for my phone, … In the afternoon we went on a walk and to the big supermarket to buy a big load of stuff! But I think everything is coming in to place.
My first impressions:
- Hotter than I expected (I have to say also that yesterday was an especially hot day for the season) but I was miserable in the sun, sweating so much and thinking “and this is only spring!?!”. But fortunately, last night it rained and today we woke up with a much cooler and breezier day and I am very thankful for that!
- Greener than I expected! All the vegetation looks so green and alive! I kept thinking “any moment I will see a wild animal walking around or something!”.
- Not handling very well the driving on the left side thing yet!
- I can understand people here less that I thought I would…
- Amazed by women walking around with big stuff on their heads like nothing at all. And kids running around barefoot with big smiles on their faces!
Comment: I’ve killed way to many spiders already. But again, mangos falling from the trees!! I guess I can’t complain… ;)
So far so good!